Terms & Conditions - Good Causes
We want to enable as many organisations as possible to join the lottery as a good cause. As you will be joining under our overall gambling licence (Gambling Act 2005) we have to ensure that organisations meet certain criteria. There is no application fee.
Who can join the lottery as a Good Cause?
You might be a small organisation supporting just a handful of beneficiaries, a uniformed group such as Scouts or Guides, a sports or arts club or maybe you are a larger organisation that does work in lots of different areas- there is no limit on size! The most important thing is that you fit into the criteria below.
Your organisation must:
- Provide community activities or services within St Albans City and District, which are of benefit to the residents of St Albans City and District. If you are unsure if you are in our area, please contact us.
- Have a formal constitution or set of rules
- Have a bank account requiring at least two unrelated signatories
- Operate with no undue restrictions on membership
- Have a formal constitution or set of rules and have good governance in place including a management committee/board of directors that includes at least three unrelated individuals
- Have an open-door membership policy and provide services that are accessible to people from all backgrounds. This does not preclude for instance single-gender or single faith organisations from applying as long as they can demonstrate that they comply with the Equality Act 2010.
And be either:
- A constituted group with a volunteer management committee with a minimum of three unrelated members that meets on a regular basis (at least three times per year)
- A registered charity, with a board of trustees
- A registered Community Interest Company, and provide copies of your Community Interest Statement, Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a copy of your latest annual community interest report
All organisations will need to submit income and expenditure accounts and evidence of an appropriate bank account.
We welcome groups and organisations that do not receive SADC grant funding as well as those new in the district. Note: new organisations may need to submit additional financial information and may be required to meet SADC Officers in person before approval. Applications may also be referred to SADC Internal Audit if deemed necessary.
All funding received from the St Albans District Community Lottery must only be used to support projects/activities in St Albans City and District
We will not permit applications from:
- Commercial ventures
- Private companies and individuals
- Community groups who do not have a constitution, bank account and management committee/ trustees
- Statutory organisations or groups controlled by public sector organisations such as Local Authorities, Primary Care Trusts and Schools, (but Friends of Schools and Parent Teacher Groups can be as long as they confirm they are not raising money for the academic curriculum)
- Organisations whose purpose is to give out funding to other groups or those who act as third party collection agencies
- Organisations operating outside St Albans City and District and who do not serve the needs of those living, working, or studying in the district
- Groups that promote one particular faith or religious belief (However faith groups who are delivering something that is inclusive and open to all are eligible)
- Organisations that support the furtherance of any one political party
What we will need from you:
- You will be asked to provide copies of documentation to confirm the eligibility of your cause.
- You will be asked to commit to using the marketing materials provided and other means of communication to achieve at least 20 ticket sales within four weeks of being provided a page on the site.
St Albans City and District Council reserve its right to reject any application for any reason or cease to license any organisation with a minimum of 7 days' notice for any reason, without offering an appeals process. If fraudulent or illegal activity is suspected cessation will be immediate.
Once approved on the platform, you will receive:
- Your own webpage on the St Albans District Community Lottery website - with no set-up fees. You will be able to edit your logo and description
- You will get 50p from every paid ticket supporting your cause that is entered into a weekly draw
- Monthly payment of the money you’ve raised through the lottery - with no banking fees
- An online dashboard to track the performance of your lottery page
- A lottery helpline to help your players with any queries they may have
- Professionally prepared, seasonal marketing materials. Provided digitally in a range of formats.